T. Wayne Hood
NCUA Supervisory Focus for 2014 – Risk Identification and Mitigation
CFPB Mortgage Rules - What’s Going on with Mortgage Compliance?
The seven new mortgage rules are complex and confusing. This session will give you an overview of all the rules and explain which rules provide some small creditor or small servicer relief. Key takeaways will be the scope of each rule, a comparison of the different Qualified Mortgage options, the Ability-to-Repay underwriting criteria, the Loan Originator Compensation requirements and an explanation and impact chart of the nine Servicing sub-rules.
Six Levers of Income & How to Boost Your Bottom Line
You can pull on any of these levers, but for most of them a member on theother side will push back, so none of these methods is without consequence. The goal is to decide how much pressure to exert on which levers in order to maximize profitability while minimizingmember pushback.
1) Increase the Loan to Share Ratio- Either increase the dollar amount of loans or decrease the dollar amount of shares. Raising the value of the LTS ratio increases Net Interest Margin (NIM) and therefore overall profitability.
2) Lower the Cost of Funds– Reducing the cost of member shares is an easy way to increase NIM, but too many or the wrong type of shares may runoff, so tread carefully. Many credit unions would be better off with fewer shares on deposit.
3) Increase the Net Loan Yield (Net of Charge-offs) – Make more unsecured and/or higher risk loans to raise the Net Loan Yield; or alternatively, reduce charge-offs by writing only A paper loans. Either method will increase Net Loan Yield, but they are somewhat mutually exclusive.
4) Increase Investment Yield– Increase duration risk or credit risk, but any increase in Investment Yield increases ROAA at the margin. Some credit unions have had success with investing, but good luck in this interest rate environment.
5) Increase Non-Interest Income– Fees and ancillary products of any kind add to the bottom line and require no capital. Many fees can be implemented, but the biggest are:
6) Lower Expenses– The only thing you can easily control is fewer branches and fewer employees. Labor is one of the largest expenses in a credit union and fewer branches means fewer employees and less expense.
Stacie L. Caraway
“Can We Do THAT?” -- A Discussion of Personnel Policies and Practices that Can Help (or Hurt) You
Scott E. Simmons
|“Can We Fire Them NOW?” – A Termination Checklist No Credit Union Should Be Without
What should you know before “pulling the trigger?” While there is no way to completely insulate your Credit Union from a possible wrongful termination claim, in this session we will provide some best practices to help you avoid such claims and prepare your Credit Union to defend against them if they are made.
|Wednesday||April 23||Golfers meet for lunch||10:30 a.m.||Cottenwoods|
|Golf Tournament||1:00 p.m.||Cotenwoods|
|6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.||Room 4|
|Thursday||April 24||Buffet Breakfast||8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.||Room 1|
|Stacie Caraway||9:00 a.m.- 10:45 a.m.||Rooms 2 & 3|
|Scott Simmons||11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.||Rooms 2 & 3|
|Lunch||Noon - 1:00 p.m.||Room 1|
|Theresa Reinke||1:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.||Rooms 2 & 3|
|Friday||April 25||Buffet Breakfast||8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.||Room 1|
|T. Wayne Hood||9:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.||Rooms 2 & 3|
|Rory Rowland||10:30 - 12:00 p.m.||Rooms 2 & 3|
Location and Lodging
Harrah’s Veranda Hotel
Room Rate $69
Reservation Cut-Off Date March 31
You can call in your reservation (866-635-7095 or 800-946-4946 Group Code S04TCU4) but it's smoother if you use the web link.
Check in: 4:00 p.m.
Check out: 11:00 a.m.
for slot/table game
A note about rooms
Often hotel rooms book up fast and some folks find themselves on a waiting list for rooms. Usually we can accommodate everyone on the lists. So, if you find you have reserved more rooms than you will need, please do not cancel them. Contact Trish Patterson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-572-7359, extension 1208. Provide the name of the hotel, the type of room, the nights reserved and the name of the individual or credit union.
The Links at Cottonwoods,
a signature Harrah's Tunica golf
experience, challenging for players
of all skill levels.
Who Should Attend?
Management and Sr. Management, including HR, Lending and Operations.
Autozone Ballpark, DeSoto Civic Center, Tunica Arena and Exposition Center, Tunica Casino Factory Shops, Tunica Riverpark and Museum, Bellissimo Spa and Salon, Willows Sporting Clays
There will be shuttles to take you to the casinos and restaurants.
Registration $599; Early Bird rate: $499 if received by April 9.
CUs with assets less than $5 million, free (not including guests or golf)
Golf $129 per player (includes green fee, cart, practice range, lunch, beverages, prizes and goodie bags )
Registration is limited to league-affiliated credit union personnel and their directors. Guest registration excludes credit union personnel, credit union directors, vendors and exhibitors. Golf is limited to registered attendees and registered guests.
Business casual. Be sure to bring a sweater, as personal comfort levels vary.
Registration Form (PDF)
Online Registration Form
Questions or Special Needs
Call your CU Information Center at 800-572-7359 or 423-899-2425, extensions 1209 or 1208. Or e-mail Leisa Massingill at email@example.com or Trish Patterson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refunds will be issued until 10 days prior to the conference, less a $50 administration fee per person. Substitutions accepted anytime. All cancellations and substitutions must be submitted in writing.
|Tennessee Credit Union League
P.O. Box 21550
Chattanooga, TN 37424-0550
Phone: 423-899-2425 or 800-572-7359